Re: assertion in journal_start

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 11:34:34AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > Stephen, I'm half-inclined to paint this as a core kernel
> > bug.  We shouldn't be diving into write_dquot for a
> > GFP_NOFS allocation.
>
> Sorry, I misread the trace.  It is:
>
> ext3_new_inode
> ->DQUOT_ALLOC_INODE
>   ->read(quota file)
>     ->alloc_page
>       ->shrink_caches
>         ->prune_icache
>           ->dq_drop
>             ->write_dquot

Yep, and hence we're using the quota inode's gfp_mask which is
GFP_HIGHUSER.

Alan's comment on this is basically to the effect that as far as 2.4
is concerned, Marcelo's tree is still using the old, known-broken
quota code --- all the important fixes are in -ac and the mainline is
full of holes.

I'm fixing some other stuff right now but I'll check -ac in a bit to
see if this error route still exists there.  If so, ext3 should still
be able to munge the quota file address_space->gfp_mask manually to
work around the core problem.