Existance of .journal file

Hi,

please take my apologies if this is a FAQ but I couldn't find it
anywhere.

I do run all my machines on ext3 for quite some time. Now, by accident,
I found out that some partitions have a visible .journal file while
others do not. In fact on the two machines I checked .journal was
visible in / but not in any other directory that is a mount point for an
ext3 partition. I even tried deleting the file to see if it really is in
use, it was, I had to re-create the journal to be able to mount as ext3
again. After that the file is visible again. I also tuned another ext2
partition to ext3 and no .journal comes up. And yes, I did run a fsck
several times during this test cycle.

Any explanation for this?

I'm running kernel 2.4.18 and use e2fsprogs 1.27.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

P.S.: Please CC me on replies.
--