inodes 100% full, how do I know?

How can you know beforehand, without running fsck, that all inodes are used of a particular ext3 filesystem? Default systemtools use output from df, which shows only a 50% usage of the filesystem, and pretend nothing is wrong, while you really cant't move or copy a file to it. So I only found out when running fsck.
This is my output from fsck (RH7.2, stock kernel, stock? ext3):

root# fsck -f -v /dev/hda1
fsck 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
e2fsck 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

  10880 inodes used (100%)
   1025 non-contiguous inodes (9.4%)
        # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 702/80/0
1229437 blocks used (44%)
      0 bad blocks
      0 large files

   9925 regular files
    815 directories
      0 character device files
      0 block device files
      0 fifos
      3 links
    131 symbolic links (131 fast symbolic links)
      0 sockets
--------
  10874 files

I suppose my lesson is not to set up ext3 for using a average filesize of 1 mb or something like that, to many small files I guess causes this. Next time I will stick with the default. Maybe better lessons for me?

greetings, Sil