Re: mv to /tmp = baby's birthday jpg's lost.

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 03:21:02PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> If you have a stand-alone /tmp partition, you should definitely
> consider switching it to be a swap partition, and then using tmpfs.
> For most workloads, it will be just as good, if not better.

Note that last time I checked, there were still gotchas, perhaps the
most annoying being the inability to loopback mount a file on tmpfs
(ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Invalid argument).  This caused tools like mkinitrd
to break.  One can hack around this by changing the tools to use another
filesystem like /var/tmp, but it's just a hack.

Since private namespaces are in 2.4.19pre, a much more sophisticated
hack is to privately bind /var/tmp (or some other scratch space) on
/tmp when loop devices are needed -- mkinitrd works, no source hacks
required.

These hacks of course don't work so well with ram-based systems
though; in that case a ramdisk is still required. :-/

Regards,

   Bill Rugolsky.