ext3 .journal location?

Forgive my novice question, but I am a new student of Linux working on presenting the ext3 journaling filesystem to my class.  I seek any advice on how to visibly demonstrate (including a purposeful crash of a Linux box) the benefits of ext3 over ext2.  I am not worthy to lick the bootstraps of this group, but I beg for any help!  The problem I am having extends to even locating the .journal file on my 7.2 install. Help, and thanks in advance!

Steve in Texas