fsck forced on every system crash

Hi all, I seem to be having a problem whereby my ext3 filesystem forces a full fsck on every hard system crash.  This takes over 20 minutes on my 40GB drive and is driving me nuts.  I've verified that the partition is, in fact, being mounted as ext3 and have tried removing ^has_journal and re-creating the journal file but nothing has worked.  I'm running RH7.2...  Any ideas would be much appreciated.