"Partition Check:" ?

 As soon as I use a kernel with ext3 support boot up freezes with:

"Partition Check: /dev/bus/etc/with/ide/bus"

 I am trying to make doublely sure that it is ext3 causing the problem by
removing the journals I added to the original ext2 filesystems using
"tune2fs -j /dev/hda1" ( / & /usr are ext3 while hda2 is swap by the way)

 Unfortunately I'm having trouble find a rescue disk that supports ext3 /
e2fs tools that will boot; I have a scsi cdrom that cannot be booted from.

 What causes the partituion check to crash the whole system? Even a soft
reset is impossible.

 I have made correct initrd entries in lilo.conf and tried a kernel that
doesn't require them too.