Re: Reg: Porting UFS/VxFs to ext2 (fwd)

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 07:14:39PM +0530, SRIKANTH CHOWDARY M. K. G wrote:

>  Thanks a lot for ur patient replies. Sir, the problem is that the person
> does not want to spend time taking backing and then restoring on another
> disk. He wants some kind of a tool which will make the ondisk UFS/VXFS
> structure to that of an ext2 structure!
>
>  Sir, if it is not feasible, I will have to give him strong reasons for
> the same. What are the practical difficulties in developing such a tool?

You would spend longer writing and testing the tool than doing the
backup, reformat and restore.  I mean, would you seriously considering
running an unproven format conversion tool on several TB of data
without a tape backup in any case?  Given that you _need_ backups,
that sounds like the only sane way to go.

--Stephen