Problem recovering ext3 filesystem

Hi,

I have a 20GB partition on a hard disk that just developed bad blocks.
Fortunately, I had backups for the most important data on it, but I'd
like to recover some files that were too large to backup.

When running 'e2fsck /dev/hdc3', I get the following message:
e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
e2fsck: Invalid argument while checking ext3 journal for /

I already made a backup copy of the whole partition. I also tried to
copy the partition on a new disk and run e2fsck on the new disk. I was
hoping the error message was caused by e2fsck not being able to read
some of the journal's blocks.

Do you have any suggestions about the way I could recover the
filesystem?

Thanks,

Radu Rendec