Re:Re: system freezes with ext3

I have a RH 7.3 system with kernal 2.4.18-3smp with ext3 drives that
seemed to be working OK, but in past few days it has hung up several
times, with the kernal still running (system responds to pings), but all
other services are stalled.  The consistent message in /var/log/messages
is:

Nov 17 11:21:24 krypton kernel: Assertion failure in
journal_commit_transaction() at commit.c:535: "buffer_jdirty(bh)"
Nov 17 11:21:24 krypton kernel: ------------[ cut here ]------------
Nov 17 11:21:24 krypton kernel: kernel BUG at commit.c:535!
Nov 17 11:21:24 krypton kernel: invalid operand: 0000

And it goes on.  This sounds similar to what you are experiencing.  I'm
looking for some documentation that this is a bug, and that there is
(hopefully) a fix.

Can I turn ext3 off and revert to ext2 by simplying change my fstab
file, or is life not that simple?

John V. Kjellman