Re:Re: system freezes with ext3

John V. Kjellman writes:

 > other services are stalled.  The consistent message in /var/log/messages
 > is:
 >
 > Nov 17 11:21:24 krypton kernel: Assertion failure in
 > journal_commit_transaction() at commit.c:535: "buffer_jdirty(bh)"
 > Nov 17 11:21:24 krypton kernel: ------------[ cut here ]------------
 > Nov 17 11:21:24 krypton kernel: kernel BUG at commit.c:535!
 > Nov 17 11:21:24 krypton kernel: invalid operand: 0000
 >
 > And it goes on.  This sounds similar to what you are experiencing.  I'm
 > looking for some documentation that this is a bug, and that there is
 > (hopefully) a fix.

My problem is a little different. My systems hangs completely. Not even the
kernel is running. But the system freeze seems to depend on something else. I
can use any of my opartitions as ext3. But as far there is another system
parttion (one on which / or /home or /usr or /var live) involved, the system
freezes.

 > Can I turn ext3 off and revert to ext2 by simplying change my fstab
 > file, or is life not that simple?

Yep, this works perfectly for me.
But note: your are likely getting messages at bootup like the following:
EXT2-fs warning (device ide0(3,68)): ext2_read_super: mounting ext3 filesystem
as ext2

Ciao,
Carsten