/proc/sys/vm/bdflush

I'm lacking some understanding of how to tune / when to tune /proc/sys/vm/bdflush

Where can I read up on this?

Our current problem: Load is low, but ever so often the system decides
to do some serious disk I/O which causes all processes to wait for
disk I/O -- load explodes (rises linear up into the 20-30ies) just to
fall linearly (spelling?) right after that.

We think there might be some serious buffer flushing going on, but we
cannot put our finger on it.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (Im Auftrag des Referat V a)   Ralf Hildebrandt charite de
Charite Campus Mitte                            Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155