Re: How to hide .journal file

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 08:55, Mindaugas Riauba wrote:

>   Maybe it's already FAQ but how to hide .journal file
> on rootfs? I upgraded filesystems on one of my servers
> from ext2 to ext3 and everything went smoothly.

>   I'd like to avoid booting from alternative media because
> server is in production. FS update done together with
> server's kernel update.

You can't shift the .journal file out of the way on a mounted
filesystem, so if it's the root filesystem that you're worried about,
you will _have_ to boot off another media (eg. rescue CD) in order to
hide that .journal.  Once you've done that, though, it's easy --- e2fsck
will do it automatically in current e2fsprogs.