Re: how often to 'fsck -D' ?

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 01:09:31PM -0500, Skylar Thompson wrote:
> > It's used to convert directories to indexed format.  IIRC, it needs to
> > be run only once.  Added in e2fsprogs 1.29 (I think).
>
> I don't see it in any of the man pages, though.

It's in the man pages, but you need to get e2fsprogs 1.29 or later.
(And you really want to get e2fsprogs 1.30-WIP-0930):

       -D     Optimize  directories  in  filesystem.  This option
              causes e2fsck to try to optimize  all  directories,
              pressing  directories  for  smaller directories, or
	      for filesystems using traditional  linear  directories.

And you only need to run the command once, as long as you use kernels
that understand directory indexing when the filesystem is mounted
read/write.

						- Ted