Resize journal on root filesystem

Hi all,

I'm trying to resize a journal on my root filesystem. This is Ext3, kernel 2.4.19, latest e2fsprogs + htree patch.

I've remounted my root filesystem as ext2, but still when I 'tune2fs -O ^has_journal' I get
----
The has_journal flag may only be cleared when the filesystem is
unmounted or mounted read-only.
----

So, how can I increase the size of the journal? I can't remount the root filesystem as readonly because I don't have console access (I only have SSH access, because the machine is in a data centre on the other side of the world--SSH won't work with the root filesystem mounted readonly).