Re: EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 05:21:41PM -0400, Patrice Guay wrote:
> I got the following error message during the boot process:
>
> EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
> mount:error 22 mounting ext3 flags
> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init = option to kernel
>
> I was using RedHat 7.3 when this problem appeared. My machine is a
> ThinkPad R30 Intel Celeron 900 MHz. I used "linux rescue", to get access
> to my hard drive data. I changed ext3 tags to ext2 in my /etc/fstab file
> but it didn't work. I installed RedHat 8.0 but I was still receiving the
> same error message even if I formatted the / partition during the
> installation process.
>
> Formatting the / partition with the ext2 filesystem allowed me to get
> through the boot process without error. Is there a bug with the ext3
> filesystem?

There are many reasons that could be causing this, and you haven't
give us enough information to really determine the cause.

Are you sure you created the filesystem with a journal?  (i.e., are
you using the -j flag to mke2fs?)  If you're using RedHat, are you
sure the ext3 filesystem has been included in your initrd?  (You may
need to re-run mkinitrd.)  etc.

						- Ted