Re: Periodic lockup problem with ext3

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 09:45:41AM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> This happens when the journal becomes full (and probably also has lots
> of pending data buffers to flush, for data=ordered)

The data flush happens on each commit, so it's never deferred until
the journal is full.  I'm wondering if there's something wrong which
lets dirty metadata accumulate arbitrarily long between commits, but
the normal writeback does seem to be active still --- we do a
set_buffer_flushtime() as soon as the buffer gets marked for metadata
write, so those buffers shouldn't accumulate forever either.

I'll need to reproduce this and trace it, I suspect.

--Stephen