htree questions

I decided that I would try out 2.5.44, and I noticed that htree was
merged.  If I don't do the tune2fs -O dir_index, and e2fsck -D, the
(exisintg) fs won't use htree, right?  Once I do the tune2fs and e2fsck,
will I still be able to go back to a non-htree kernel if needed?  (Will
a htree-ized fs work on a non-htree kernel?)  I'm guessing that it
won't.  I've seen a 2.4 htree patch; has that been updated to be at the
same point as what was merged into 2.5? (if so, link please)

Thanks, Chris

--
Chris PeBenito

"Engineering does not require science. Science helps
a lot, but people built perfectly good brick walls
long before they knew why cement works."-Alan Cox