Re: Is this a ext related problem?

On Oct 23, 2002  05:55 +0200, Micha Holzmann wrote:
> Quoting Stephen C. Tweedie <sct redhat com> at Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:27:24PM CEST:
> > > The commandline was: tune2fs -j /dev/sdb1. After tune2fs finished its
> > > work i shutdown the system again. I logged in an did following steps:
> > >
> > > - umount /dev/sdb1
> >
> > Running tune2fs -j on a mounted filesystem is not likely to result in
> > anything useful!  It is probably OK if the filesystem is mounted
> > readonly.  If it's mounted read-write, the results are undefined,
> > because the unmount of the original filesystem will scrub ext2 stuff
> > back on top of the new ext3 metadata.
>
> Was this wrong, to unmount the filesystem *before* converting to ext3?
> No, or?

No, actually "tune2fs -j" on a mounted filesystem has well-defined
semantics.  It will create a ".journal" file in the root of the
filesystem and put that inode number in the s_journal_inum field.
I think Stephen just forgot the good old days of ext3 journaling ;-).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger