From: Juri Haberland [mailto:juri koschikode com]
Sent: domenica 27 ottobre 2002 23.07
To: Hans Deragon
Cc: ext3-users redhat com
Subject: Re: How come fsck still kicks in and reports major errors with
Ext3?

Hans Deragon wrote:
> Juri Haberland wrote:
>
>>Hans Deragon wrote:
>>
> Wait a sec... I search for this and look what I found in my logs:
[---SNIP---]
> Oct 27 13:09:09 world kernel: EXT3-fs: ide0(3,1): orphan cleanup on readonly fs
> Oct 27 13:09:09 world kernel: EXT3-fs: ide0(3,1): 5 orphan inodes deleted
> Oct 27 13:09:09 world kernel: EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
[---SNIP---]
> So it is working after all.  Its just that yesterday, fsck kicked in and
> I really had to fix the partition manually.  I have not noticed any ext3
> related text on the screen when my kernel refused to continue the
> bootstrap because it was asking me to manually fix the partition.  So my
> guess is that journaling works 98% of the time, but once in a while
> after an uncontrolled shutdown, my filesystem goes seriously kaput
> anyway, right?

I highly doubt that. As Ralf wrote, there are two other possibilities:
Every ext2/ext3 filesystem is per default checked on every 20th mount or
if more than 6 months have passed since the last check. This happens
whether the filesystem was cleanly unmounted or not. So it looks like
that this is what happened to you.

>>What distribution are you running?
>>
> RedHat 8.0.  The kernel running on my system is the one installed from
> the CDROM.  I have the source code of the kernel, but not the .config
> file which corresponds to my running kernel.  Anybody knows if it is
> possible to get the installed kernel .config file so I can check out the
> configuration?  This is off-topic regarding this mailing list, so I
> suggest anyone responding to this to reply to me personnaly.

Look in /boot/, there is a file called 'config-${VERION_OF_YOUR_KERNEL}'.

Regards,
Juri