Re: Problem with file-deletion

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 10:38:20AM +0200, paul_pot nl sonymusic com wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Don't know what happened, but after subsequent reboots to get the serial
> console on-line, making sure the output was sent to the serial device and
> logged properly, the file was deleted without any issue.

If I had to bet, I would place my money on an open file issue. You tried
to delete the file, but were unable to because it was being held open by
another process. After the reboot, the other process was not running, so
you had no problem deleting it. Did you check with lsof if the file was open
by some process?

> I am positive fsck -y was run several times before reporting the
> problem.........

If it was indeed an open file issue, fsck would not see any problem. The
file system structures are just fine.

> I will start a memtest (hw diag) for potential memory problems.

It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't look like a memory problem.

Javier Gostling
Ingeniero de Sistemas
Virtualia S.A.
jgostling virtualia cl