Re: data recovery openoffice.sx? on ext3-partition

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 10:06:42AM +0200, i.t wrote:
> since there have been undelete questions in the past, I'll shortly describe
> how I've successfully recovered an openoffice spreadsheet on an ext3
> partition:
>
> 1) umount the partition immediately after the accident
> if possible dd to a safe place

Definitely a good idea.  Another thing you can do, for safety, is to
copy the /dev/*d* disk block device you're interested in to somewhere
in /tmp (copy the block device, NOT the contents --- ie. "cp -a"),
then change its mode so that it is readonly, and chown it to a
non-root user.  Then you can safely go in as that user and read
anything on the disk without risk of modifying it.

> 2) debugfs or recover does NOT work; it will find only and always the same
> zero size inode on the partition (my question to the developers: how about
> backward compatibility; shouldn't there and for what time span the deleted
> inodes available or are they immediately gone by journalling?)

Journalling requires the delete to be done immediately on disk for
various subtle reasons that I'll go into again if there's interest. :)

> 4) I've written out blockwise, concatenated the blocks to a file, compared an
> old backup file with an hex editor and edited with the hex editor  the last
> block due to the original file end.
> That was successful but not in every case; it depends apparently whether the
> blocks are sequentially wriiten and complete; otherwise you must follow the
> references to indirect blocks; things are going tough here...I'm still
> testing :-

The indirect blocks are probably gone too.