ext3 lost

Hi, We have software raid level 5 using 6 IDE disks
amounting to about 500Gb. Its an ext3 filesystem which is NFS exported
to a number of other machines.

Recently, after running

/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server stop
/etc/init.d/nfs-common stop
/etc/init.d/nfs-common start
/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start

the whole raid array is gone. The file system is consistent and is
the right size but no directories!

Running fsck on it just comes back ok.
Should I try a later e2fsck which can handle ext3. Has the
journal inode been deleted? SHould I try and remount as an ext2 system
and rerun fsck?
ANy ideas?

Shashi Kanbur                                  shashi fcrao1 astro umass edu
Five College Astronomy Department,
University of Massachusetts,
Amherst,
MA 01003
USA
(413) 577 0470                                 (413) 545 4223 (Fax)