Re: querying the ext3 journal

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 11:11:02AM -0400, Marc Wrona wrote:
> I'm not sure if this question makes sense, but here goes.  We have the need
> to periodically check for newly created/modified files in a rather elaborate
> and well populated directory structure.  I don't believe that simply walking
> the directory and checking stat's is the answer, given that I need a process
> that will impose minimal performance degredation on the system.  Would it be
> possible to query the journal itself for these changes?  Is there an API (or
> better yet, an app) to do so?

No, but there's a directory notify API which might be useful.  See
linux/Documentation/dnotify.txt in the Linux source code; there's also
the "fam" package which acts as a front-end to dnotify.

The journal entries in ext3 are quite short-lived.  They are only
guaranteed to stick around long enough for the writeback to disk to
occur.  The journal won't help you if you want to come back some time
later and see everything which has changed.