ext3 sync problem

Hi ext3 users:

Here I have a problem with how sync works on ext3. Basically I am using ext3 and GRUB on flash. What happens is:

1. ftp two big boot images into ext3 (on a flash)
2. do sync
3. reset immediately (without umounting)
4. GRUB cannot find the two images
5. boot with another image, and the two images are there (b/c journal was replayed)

ext2 doesnt have this problem.

My first thinking was that ext3 sync doesn't sync all the data but probably just the journal, but I asked ext3 maintainer and he said ext3 sync all the data not just the journal, so I get confused.

Anyone has any idea why this is happening? Thanks.

Hua