Re: htree 2.4.19-dxdir patch

On Sep 24, 2002  10:12 +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> > It should work on existing filesystems, but not on existing
> > directories larger than a block.  If a directory already has a
> > sequential multiblock layout, then the htree code can't yet go in and
> > create a new index for the whole directory.
>
> Is this something that's on the hit-list to fix, or should I anticipate
> needing to manually rebuild my various large directories to take
> advantage of the performance boost?

It is not something that the kernel will do directly.  If you enable the
dir_index feature in the superblock, e2fsck will re-index all of the
directories in the filesystem (or at least that is my understanding,
I have never tested this myself but it should be in e2fsck 1.28).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger