Re: htree 2.4.19-dxdir patch

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 10:12:42AM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> > It should work on existing filesystems, but not on existing
> > directories larger than a block.  If a directory already has a
> > sequential multiblock layout, then the htree code can't yet go in and
> > create a new index for the whole directory.
>
> Is this something that's on the hit-list to fix, or should I anticipate
> needing to manually rebuild my various large directories to take
> advantage of the performance boost?

Grab e2fsprogs 1.29 (just released) and you can optimize all of your
directories by using the -D flag to e2fsck.  (Make sure you enable
directory indexing first by using the command "tune2fs -O dir_index
/dev/hdXX" first.  Then do "e2fsck -D /dev/hdXX", and all of your
directories will be optimized.)

							- Ted