Re: Converting ext3 to ext2

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:51:02 +0100
"Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct redhat com> wrote:

> It's not _quite_ as simple as converting to ext3, but not much
> harder. You just need to clear the "has_journal" bit, then
> e2fsck will clean up the rest of the superblock fields.  Ie.
>
> 	tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/foo
> 	e2fsck /dev/foo

I know that I am faint-hearted (at least where my data is
concerned), but it would be nice if man tune2fs were just a tiny
bit more explicit about that.

-O [^]feature[,...]
              Set  or  clear  the  indicated  filesystem features
              (options)  in  the  filesystem.   More   than   one
              filesystem  feature  can be cleared or set by sepa-
              rating features with commas .... <-- so far so good

	.....has_journal
                          Create an ext3 journal (as if using the
                          -j option). <---- implies to the
faint-hearted that it will create but not remove the journal.

Cheers,

Geoff