Re: 2.4.20 and htree

Sorry, missed the second half of your question...

On Apr 07, 2003  10:25 +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:
> And once I have htree in the kernel, does it 'automatically' produce the
> benefits on existing directories, or do I need to go through some on-disk
> process to get the directory held 'in htree form'? I believe I just need to
> tune2fs and switch dir_index on. But to get the performance increase, do I
> need to make it go and index all those large directories (somehow?). Or
> does it do that automatically?

To activate htree at all, you need "tune2fs -O dir_index <dev>", and then if
you want existing directories to be indexed (instead of only new ones) you
need to do "e2fsck -fD <dev>" on an unmounted filesystem.

> And if it all goes wrong, can my filesystem still be read by ext2, or ext3
> without the directory index patch? I /think/ the answer is yes, provided it
> has the back-compatibility patch in? (and might be 'yes' on other occasions
> too).

Yes you can use it with older ext2/3 in pretty much all cases.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger