Re: nasty ext3 problem

Hi,

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 05:56, Mark wrote:

> If I reboot, then Use% goes back to 35% and available space goes back to
> normal

That itself is a faq, and has already been replied to.  But:

> After rebooting, when i do a read only fsck, i get something like this:
>
> --------------
> azbok {/home/kobaz} root# e2fsck -n /dev/sda6 -f
> e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
> Warning!  /dev/sda6 is mounted.
> Warning: skipping journal recovery because doing a read-only filesystem
> check.

Looks like the filesystem was mounted read/write at this point.  If so,
fsck can do nothing except give you a rough hint about fs health --- it
basically cannot do anything useful, because the fs will be changing
beneath its feet.  I'm astonished if you only see one or two errors in
that case!

You can only reliably fsck the root filesystem if it is not mounted for
write.  That requires either booting from a rescue CD, or booting with a
kernel option like "init=/bin/sh" to drop you straight into a shell at
boot time, rather than going through fs setup.