Re: ext3 journal file size

Hi,

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 15:46, Senthil Kandasamy wrote:

> In my /var/  directory, I have a use file called ".journal" which
> takes about
> 30 Megs of space which is 98% of the file size.

That looks like the journal file which gets created when you upgrade an
ext2 filesystem to ext3 while it is still online --- it's normal.  I
assume /var is a separate filesystem?

You can't get rid of it --- it's central to the way ext3 works.  (Well,
you _could_ get rid of it by converting back to ext2!)  But you can hide
the journal by unmounting the filesystem and running a recent version of
e2fsck on it, which will convert the .journal file into a "hidden"
inode.