Re: Input/output error

I've no idea what the problem is, but I use the same approach, and have never had trouble with Linux or Windows 98. The only problem I've had with this scheme is that duplicating Windows 2000 (in a partition on the same drive) kills Windows 2000 - even the original (??! - it won't allow login anymore).

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=16384k (I've tried many values for bs. All seem to work.)

Maybe that's helpful for helping eliminate possibilities.

How often do you use this? Does the problem only occur once a week because you only back it up once a week, or is there less of a correlation?

Rahul Kalaskar wrote:

Hi All,

About once a week, I get a this strange error on bash command line.
Running any command on the command line results in " Input/output
error". Only way to get back to normal operation is to hard reboot the
machine. I suspect this is something to do with my file system. I am
using RH7.3 with ext3 file system on IBM Travelstar drives.

I use dd to duplicate the drives. The source and the target drives are
identical (same make, model) .I am not sure, but I suspect this error
message comes up only on the duplicated drives. (I have never seen this
message on my desktop which has a different drive).

Any pointers on what is causing this problem would be great

Ext3-users mailing list
Ext3-users redhat com