ext2 problem

Hello all,
I know this question is (strictly speaking) off topic,
but if someone could at least point me in the right
direction, I would be most grateful.

I have an older system (RH 6.2, overdue for upgrade) with
an ext2 partition that was pushing 99% filled.	I did some
space recovery and I have it down to around 90% utilization
now.  I have rebooted the unit, and brought it up
single-user and also booted it under a "Tom's
rootboot" disk, and e2fsck reports that the
partition is clean.

The problem:  anything trying to create a file fails
with a message about "no space on device"

I assume that something important didn't get updated
at some point, and that something needs to be rebuilt or
recovered.  Any recommendations for the tool or method?

TIA,
A. Becker