Directory size expansion and contraction in ext3

Hello all,
             I was running the following script in the directory $(HOME)/temp

while true
do
     touch $((i = i + 1))
done

I found at the end when the inode limit was reached, the size of the temp directory had increased from 4096 to 2162688.

Once i removed all the files in directory temp. I expected the directory size to go back to 4096. But its still staying at 2162688. Is this a feature or a bug?

pls cc me back to romit myrealbox com i am not subscribed to ext3 mailing list.

Regards,
-Romit