Re: recovery notice on every reboot, errors writing to fs

Hi,

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 00:37, Dave [Hawk-Systems] wrote:

> We had a situation where the server froze and required a hard restart.  On
> reboot we get the following notices which were captured in the dmesg log
>
> EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
> EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
> kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
> EXT3-fs: recovery complete.

That's all completely normal.

> Not all libraries function after this though, there are problems chmod'ing
> files, we get numerous "Bus error" "Segmentation fault" etc...  some errors
> indicating that libraries may not being linked correctly or something.  For
> example, a simply "man fsck" produces  "Inconsistency detected by ld.so:
> dynamic-link.h: 62: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"'
> failed!"

Those sorts of errors are usually associated with bad ram.
www.memtest86.com is your first port of call.

The other possibility is disk corruption.  If you're using an rpm-based
system, "rpm -V" can verify package contents, so you can test the
integrity of your libraries that way.  It would also be useful to force
a full fsck run to see if any problems are discovered.

> Additionally, while the external journal file was easily found on the other
> server, we have been unable to find one on this server (then again find may not
> be reliable).

That's OK, current e2fsprogs tools create hidden journal files that
don't show up in the filesystem tree.