Re: On very different journalling activity on 2 servers.

Nico Morrison <nico morrison micronicos com> wrote:

> Does this mean that dma is in fact off?

Yes.

> So on that server is it saying dma is on?

Yes.

> What do we need to do & is it safe to turn DMA ON on a busy working public
> internet server?

`hdparm -d 1' will force DMA on.  No, it is not safe to do on a busy server.
It is said to be quite unsafe.

If you can schedule some downtime to try that and to test it carefully then
maybe.  But upgrading the kernel to match the well-behaving machine sounds
wiser.