RE: On very different journalling activity on 2 servers.

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Nico Morrison wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have upgraded the 'bad' machine with the latest 'up2date' kernel, but it
> is possible that GRUB is still loading the older kernel. Our sysadmin at the
> dayacentre says the console shows the old kernel kernel-2.4.7-10
>
> This might have happened because the first kernel upgrade I did on this
> machine I did manually by downloading the .rpm & installing it locally.
>
> Now I know to use /use/sbin/up2date instead but ......

You may need to add an entry to /etc/grub.conf that looks something like:
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.19)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.19 ro root=/dev/hda7

I believe grub picks defaults to booting the first entry it finds, someone
correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not all too familiar with grub...

> How do I tell from the machine (SSH) which kernel it is actually running?

uname -a

> Thanks - sorry to be so ignorant.

No problem :)