From: Juri Haberland [mailto:juri koschikode com]
Sent: 06 February 2003 12:53
To: ext3 users list
Subject: Re: Why does old kernel boot when new kernel installed?

Nico Morrison wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yes - verified with uname -a

> Last night I did kernel upgrades of 3 other machines & all went through
just
> fine ..... only this 1 machine has this problem?
>
> In answer - only 1 grub.conf

Is it possible that you have a /boot partition that get's mounted over
the real /boot?
I noticed looking at your grub.conf that it tells something about your
server not having a separate /boot partition. So everything is setup to
be on the / partition. If, for some unknown reason, you do have a /boot
partition that gets mounted, all changes to the kernels and grub.conf
will be on that partition but at boot time grub will look at the /
partition where no changes occurred.
Uhm, is it understandable what I just wrote?

Regards,
Juri