Re: Bug moving file over link?

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 16:57, Andrew Morton wrote:
> The Open Group base specification 6 says:
>
> "If the old argument and the new argument resolve to the same existing file,
>  rename() shall return successfully and perform no other action."
>
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/functions/rename.html

Seems to be an ambiguous to me.  I would interpret that to mean that if
old and new ended up referring to the same direntry in the same
directory then there should be no operation, rather than two entries
pointing to the same inode.  Hm, their definition of "file" does seem to
mean the inode, which makes rename's behaviour a bit counter-intuitive
here.