ext2->ext3 empty file creation

Hello,

I am using kernel version 2.4.7-10
I upgraded one of the ext2 partition to ext3.
the partitions are nearly empty.
I ran a program to create empty files, having names in
lexicographical order. The time taken to create empty
files (100 .. 100000) is same on an ext2 partition and
a ext3 partition.
Can anyone pls. tell me why there is no difference in
the time taken.
Is the htree algo. implemented in both ext2/ext3 of
2.4.7-10

thanx in advance.
-Sagar

some info of the m/c:
redhat linux, 2.4.7-10, 512MB RAM, nearly empty
partitions. P4- 1.6GHz.