ext3 corruption with vanilla kernel 2.4.19?

Hello
After compiling and booting a RH 8.0 box with a 2.4.19 vanilla kernel
i've started to experience some problems on my /home partition, (i/o
errors on 2 files).
After rebooting the machine failed the to mount /home and dropped me in
the recovery shell.
The fsck is still running after 9 hours.
The system is a dual athlon MP  with 1Gb ram and ASUS MB.
the /home patrition is mounted on 3 120 Gb maxtor disks on ATA 100 bus
in RAID 5 (software).
The point is: i've heard same problems from another sysadmin switching
on vanilla kernel on is RH 8.0 box with ext3.Hello
After compiling and booting a RH 8.0 box with a 2.4.19 vanilla kernel
i've started to experience some problems on my /home partition, (i/o
errors on 2 files).
After rebooting the machine failed the to mount /home and dropped me in
the recovery shell.
The fsck is still running after 9 hours.
The system is a dual athlon MP  with 1Gb ram and ASUS MB.
the /home patrition is mounted on 3 120 Gb maxtor disks on ATA 100 bus
in RAID 5 (software).
The point is: i've heard same problems from another sysadmin switching
on vanilla kernel on is RH 8.0 box with ext3.

Question one: Is really normal that fsck takes so long or i can just
consider the partition dead and reboot?

Question two: It was just an unluckly coincidence or there is some know
incompatibility between RH 8.0 and vanilla kernels on ext3?

Best Regards and Thanks in advance
Zeist