system lockup when hammering ext3 partition

This might be a bad HD but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Running RedHat 8 system; kernel 2.4.18-14.  Was having some
weird problems on boot so I did:

% find / -type f -fstype ext3 | perl -n -e 'print `md5sum $_`;'

to torture the disk.  It's a 20G Maxtor disk with about 12G free.

The system locks up hard (no ping, no capslock light) after a while.
Different place every time.

Built 2.4.20 with ext3 debugging.  Set debug level to 3--no lockup.
While writing this, reran test with debug level 2--locks up.  I'm
going to build with the magic sysreq key and see if any further
elucidation is possible.

--
David Poole                    "Setting a bologna sandwich on fire does
dpoole at mbuf dot com           not constitute cooking."  - Get Fuzzy