Re: Seriously corrupt ext3 root filesystem - help?

Quick update:

I found "The Sleuth Kit" (http://www.sleuthkit.org/sleuthkit/desc.php)
and just compiled it. Unfortunately, it is making me feel less and less
likely that the data on /dev/hda1 is recoverable. :-(

Using the 'istat' tool, I can't access any of the inodes below about
13000 or so. They ALL return an error like this:

# istat /dev/hda1 1
istat: read random seek error: offset 4209880301568: Invalid argument
(inode block)
# istat /dev/hda1 2
istat: read random seek error: offset 4209880301696: Invalid argument
(inode block)
# istat /dev/hda1 3
istat: read random seek error: offset 4209880301824: Invalid argument
(inode block)

This is in stark contrast to any of the other filesystems on the drive,
which 'istat' has no problem returning information about any inode
I feed it without generating the above error.

Does this definitely mean I am screwed, or does this provide a little
more insight into what may have happened?

As always, thanks to anybody who is taking the time to read along and
offer suggestions.

Eddy

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Consolidate POP email and Hotmail in one place