partition magic messed up my magic number

Hi,

I've been foolish enough to let Partition-Magic move/resize/etc. my partitions without a prior backup.

My ext3 /dev/hda7 (was RH 9) is no longer recognised by fsck.
I tried fsck -b 8139, 32768 and 65536 - but am not quite sure
about if these are the right ones to try.

So far I created another partition with same number of blocks and did a backup with

dd if=/dev/hda7 of=/dev/hda8

tried

mke2fs -S /dev/hda8
fsck.ext3 -y /dev/hda8

but this one generates a zillion of errors and quits when it's fed up. Did I forget to specify block-size (or the like) to dd, or is that my data is plain wiped ?
Or is there still other things to try?

Quite sad I lost about 1 year of emails ;(

Université de Nantes, http://www.univ-nantes.fr