boot: ext3 fs not supported by kernel

I am running 2.4.18-3.
I am getting terrible performance. I noticed in the boot.log that my / fs is ext3 and my kernel does not support ext3. I have tried to recompile the kernel with ext3 support. It did not seem to work. (e.g. lags for 40 or so when i am unzipping multiple files)
Firstly, is this likely to be the case of my problems?
How can i fix it? Do I just recompile the kernel or do I need to install some modules?
thanks if you can help.
Pete