e2fsck on ext3 is 10x slower than ext2

Hi.

I'm using Debian. Is this a Redhat-only list, or is it only hosted by RedHat?

I recently changed my filing systems over to ext3, but deliberately left the
forced boot check parameters alone so my system checks after 20 mounts.

I notice that the fsck takes a good ten times longer than under ext2, to
perform the cleanly unmounted check. (On the occasion where I did unmount
dirtily, the journals played back and things came up swiftly - huzzah.)

I looked back through the last several months in these archives, but could
only find someone's fsck hanging - mine just takes a long time, and the
spinner sticks here and there.

I also notice that I can see .journal files, despite /proc/mounts showing
ext3 for all my disc-based filing systems.

I seem to be using e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)

Linux vermillion 2.4.16-k6 #1 Wed Nov 28 10:34:08 EST 2001 i586 unknown

Is this a known problem?

Thanks in advance,

Tim Baverstock

--