2GB File size limit on ext3?

I'm using RedHat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.18-26.7.xsmp and root mount using
ext3.
And I have simple test.pl script:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl
open FILE, ">testfile";
while(1){
  print FILE "Test.\n" or die $!;
}
It's died when the file size is 2147483647
and give error message: "File size limit exceeded"

and I run "cat testfile testfile >> testfile2", died at the same
filesize.

After that I downgrade the filesystem to ext2.
The test.pl script still error but the cat command works fine and
testfile2 can exceed more than 2GB.

Does ext3 have 2GB file size limitation?
OOT: do you think I need to recompile my perl to enable large file
access?

Thanks in advance for your comment.