making an ext3 fs on a whole device

Hi folks,

Yesterday I added a new disk to my box (sdb), and tried to 'mke2fs -j
/dev/sdb' without making a partition on it firstly. mke2fs uttered
some warning message asking me to confirm, and went on happily.

Everything works fine after that, but I'm just wondering whether
there's any difference or not between making fs on the whole block
device and on a partition of it?

Any hint or suggestion is greatly appreciated ;)

Isaac

--

Isaac Claymore                  /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Dawning Inc.                    \ /    Respect for open standards