data=writeback option on root partition - RH 8.0

Well, I had the first use of the recovery mode on the RH 8.0 install CD today on a dev system. I changed the mount option for the root partition to data=writeback to see what all the claimed speed increases are about, and the system failed to mount the partition r/w, so the resulting boot failed.

After search usenet, it seems other RH folks have had this problem, possibly because it is built as a module, and not into the kernel. Do I have to recompile the kernel to get the root partition to mount in writeback journal mode, or is there a way to keep ext3 as a module, and enable writeback mode? Other partitions mount fine in writeback mode on this machine.

TIA-

Bruce