Performance problem with mysql on a 3ware 1+0 raid array

Hi all,

We are observing a consistent interval of about 4 minutes at which there are large sustained writes to disk that causes mysqld to block and not respond for the entire period.

We are using data=journal with a 128M journal and the filesystem is 150GB in size.

We get about 300kb/sec in writes and that will jump to about 2000kb/sec during the periods of large sustained writes. Those periods last around 10-15 secs. We also normal get 2000kb/sec to 4000kb/sec reads during normal operation and 0 - 500kb/sec during the sustain write periods...

I wonder if this is a ext3 issue since we seem to get this jerkiness on all our linux boxes that run ext3 and if so, how we can eliminate/lower the impact of this behaviour.

Christopher